Friday, March 29, 2019

Google just tried to lock me out

It's a good thing that it's late and I'm tired and drunk or I'd be way more upset than I am.

I just had to restart my computer because I couldn't get my fucking email to open, and there was something in there I wanted to post here.

And in that amount of time Google decided it had never seen me log in from this computer before. So it challenged me: not just what is my password, but what is my recovery email?

Turns out that Google is confused, and thinks that my primary email is really my recovery email and vice versa.

But the upshot is that for several minutes I was locked out of this account and didn't know if I could ever get back in. What would I do to prove my identity, after all? It's not like I have a driver's license in the name of Hosea Tanatu. God in heaven, what would I do if Google got really persnickety? How would I get back in?

I hate this.

And I think I'd better go public. Shit, at least that way I can retrieve my data, even if they block my ever logging in again.

I'm really scared and angry.
  

No comments: