Sunday, March 10, 2019

“There was still real affection”

I'm really tired so this will have to be short. But I was talking with Son 1 over dinner about my marriage to Wife, and one of the things I told him was, "It may not have been visible in the 2010's, but back in the 1980's we were really in love with each other."

Son 1 chuckled at the reference to the 1980's, because he wasn't born till 1996. But then he added, "Up until after the two of you went to Paris together, there was still real affection that I could see." 

I told him that our trip to Paris was in many ways a high point of our marriage. But then I thought ... my God but he was an observant kid! Wife and I went to Paris in the summer of 2007, when Son 1 was not quite 11 years old. And yes, up through that trip I know that I still made a point of being demonstrably affectionate to Wife. I'm glad he saw it, and I hope his little brother (Son 2) did as well. 

Shortly after that trip, Wife began to get emotionally involved with Boyfriend 5. That December I started this blog. In the spring on the next year, Wife paid Boyfriend 5's electrical bill. And from there it spiraled inexorably down. Five years on, in May 2013, I moved out. 

Son 1 was right about the timing. Good for him. Really — bloody well good for him.
   
   

Sent from my iPhone

No comments: