Thursday, May 22, 2014

Short-timer?

I've noticed something strange at work.  When I start to think about the more or less dysfunctional people who work for me -- and while it's not a big department, you can almost say that about each of them one way or another -- I feel a lot more relaxed than I think I "ought" to feel.  Aren't these people my responsibility?  Doesn't their performance reflect on mine?  Thoughts like these are part of what's involved in being a manager.  But instead what I find myself thinking is, ...

Well thank God I won't have to deal with any of this much longer.  And when I'm gone and the whole department goes to Hell, it'll be somebody else's headache to put it back together.

Wait, ... what??  Who said I was going anywhere?  Why do I feel like I'm going to change jobs soon, ... indeed, like it's already a sure thing, a done deal, so that I can afford to be complacent about leaving wreckage behind me?  I'm sure not consciously aware of any new job that's going to take over from this one.  And since I think I'm probably overpaid at this job, it's not likely I could afford to change.

Where does this idea come from?

I honestly don't know.  It's actually a little spooky when I think about it.  Only I don't think about it much ... but I find that it's a sentiment lurking quite often just  below the level of consciousness.  It's very strange.

No comments: