Wednesday, July 30, 2014

Blogging at work, part 2

You've heard that there are supposed to be three famous Chinese curses, right?  (Wikipedia says they appear to be apocryphal.)
  • May you live in interesting times.
  • May you come to the attention of your superiors.
  • May all of your dreams come true.
Every job I've ever held, I've had a problem with the second one.  I talk about it here.  At this point even my boys joke that this is part of the price of being a Tanatu, of belonging to our family: anywhere you go, and anything you do, you are going to stand out.  Obscurity is not an option.

A couple of hours ago I posted a blog article at work, one that I talk about here.  And just now I have received an automated e-mail telling me that the president of our division just posted a comment on it.  He starts off, "Well written. I think we need to do both!  I understand that this is easier said than done, but I also see...." and then the rest of his answer devolves into management happy-talk.  Which I would expect.  Of course he's going to say we need to do both.  If I asked senior management to make a clear strategic business decision between having our cake and eating it, I'd probably get the same answer ... at least in a public forum.

What I didn't expect was to be seen quite so high, quite so fast.  The Internet is an amazing tool.

"May you come to the attention of your superiors" ....

No comments: