Tuesday, October 12, 2010

Sex and self-esteem, part 2

This will be quick, but I had an idea in the shower this morning ... one of those really obvious ideas that makes you wonder why you never thought of it before. Way back towards the beginning of this blog, two and a half years ago, I wrote this piece speculating on why it was that all of Wife's lovers over the years have been losers. (Notice also that I very cleverly avoided discussing what that says about me.) Anyway, I came up with a complex psychological explanation that you can go read if you feel like it. But I missed what should have been the most obvious alternative hypothesis.

Maybe those are the only people who ever offered. Maybe the whole phenomenon says more about what Wife has to offer somebody else than about her own neuroses.

I have to wonder why I never thought of that, back then?

I also have to wonder -- but this will be for another time -- what this says about me? If "all" of Wife's romantic choices appear to be losers, then I must be on that list too. Fair enough, I can accept that. Only, ... what do I mean by "loser" then, and how does this fit together? Food for thought ....

No comments: